Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Mural Art Project 2011

     I have not been idle, what with this sudden abundance of free time I find myself with.  I did exactly as I said I would, and have attempted to throw myself full-force into the world of the contracted artist.  I scored a gig as a muralist for the West Seattle Produce Company.

 So this is the plywood piece that Bruce picked for the mural.  He had some specifics on what he wanted.  He wanted an unfinished background with elements of the Pacific Northwest and with vintage  produce signs.  

Bruce is from New Zealand and is pretty hardcore in my opinion.  He built his own boat and traveled half-way around the world before sailing to Seattle and settling in West Seattle.    

He's been running/owning the West Seattle Produce company for years.   Recently the giant store across the street was up for lease, so now he has an opportunity to have a produce store as opposed to a produce stand.  The space is huge, with tall ceilings. It was cold to work in , but I got a great sense of joy and accomplishment going in each day and watching the mural grow.  

I took pictures at the end of each day to see it develop.  Because of the coldness  in the concrete building, I was only able to paint for a 2 to 4 hour length of time.    Bruce got me a space heater, but would be carting construction equipment in and out.   Like I mentioned before, he's hardcore, so i don't think he noticed how cold it actually was.  

I had a uniform I wore to "work" everyday.  I had wool tights on under long underwear, thigh-high socks, knee-high socks, leg warmers and my Doc Marten's- all under my painting pants.  I had two tank tops, two Henley's and a hoodie with a sweater over that.  Finger-less gloves too, of course.

This is the finished mural.  It took 24  hours to  complete.  I still have several coats of sealant to put on top which will take many more days to be considered officially done.  






Oh, and these are close ups of my sexy mountains!  They were my favorite part of the whole mural experience!

I was hoping for two more murals for Bruce, but with monetary constraints it  doesn't look like a possibility.  This opportunity has got me wanting some more!  I got the itch to do more public art.  I hope that more chances come my way!    











     

1 comment: